Ingredients/Equipment: (may vary with size/quantities required)
A large ovenproof dish (e.g. lasagna dish)
White sliced bread (any will do, this is a great way to use up stale bread), enough to make up two layers in your dish
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2) Grease your dish with a little butter.
3) Butter your bread just like you would for a sandwich.
4) Line the bottom of the dish with bread and sprinkle over as many raisins as you like.
5) Add another layer of bread and sprinkle with a few raisins (you can add some grated orange peel if you want to, but this doesn't bode well with certain family members so I tend to leave it out).
6) Now for the delicious bit... trust me on this. Break the egg into a pint glass/ measuring jug and beat it with the sugar. Then fill the glass up to the top (or fill up to a pint) with milk. At this point, if you like, you could add some of your favourite spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, mixed spice...) or some vanilla.
7) Pour the mixture all over the bread. If it doesn't look like it’s covering well, you can just add some more milk.
8) Bake for about half an hour until golden and crunchy on top and solid but soft in the middle. Can be eaten hot as dessert, and the cold remains are great to be picked at long into the night.
Here's how mine turned out! It might not win any beauty contests, but tastes amazing!